Thursday, January 30, 2014

Alias Smith, no Jones

I was in the shower when the text came this morning, saying that the Smith's Longspur had been seen again at Stone Harbor Point. Mike hammered on the door, imploring me to hurry. I did take a few minutes to dry my hair  (it was well below freezing, after all) and then we raced across the back bays. By the time we arrived, the troops had already marshaled, and we could see distant birders swiveling and pirouetting as the bird moved around them. A few minutes quick march, and we joined them on the frozen, gale-blasted beach, training our binoculars and scopes on the prize -- a rather nondescript little brown job shuffling along through the sand and snow. I feel a little sorry for it; this certainly isn't anything like the balmy lower Mississippi River valley where it normally overwinters!



No comments:

Post a Comment